Do you tend to skip breakfast because you don’t have a lot of time in the morning? Turns out, a healthy breakfast doesn’t have to be time-consuming. In fact, it can be as quick as grabbing a croissant and coffee to-go if you do some prep work in advance.
This simple recipe will save you time and money while also giving your body the nutrients it needs to start the day happy and energized.
Have an energizing morning
Mornings set the tone for the entire day and it’s important to feel energized from the beginning. Even if we have an office job and are mostly sedentary throughout the day, we require more energy when we are awake than when we are asleep. If your body isn’t properly fueled by breakfast in the morning, you’ll feel less energetic and will likely overeat at lunchtime. Your body will also be craving sugar which may lead to you reaching for a less-than-balanced lunch.
Breakfast is kind of like working out. If you get it done in the morning, you’ll feel great throughout the day.
Quick and affordable foods for breakfast to go
To get the nutrients your body needs for fuel and sustainable energy, we recommend that you pair foods with different macronutrients. Here are some ideas:
Carbs (choose 1)
- Fruit like bananas or apples are easy to grab on-the-go
- Oatmeal is something you can keep at your desk or make the night before (overnight oats)
- Always having whole grain bread on hand makes breakfast effortless
- Corn tortillas are perfect for a quick breakfast wrap
- Veggies like celery, carrots, cucumber and tomato make a great addition to breakfast on-the-go
Pro tip: Always have something fresh with your meals; if your breakfast doesn’t include fruits, pick your favorite veggie instead.
Protein (choose 1)
- Boiled eggs
- Unsweetened peanut butter (enough said)
- Smoked tofu is ready to consume without cooking
- Greek yogurt is a filling breakfast option
Fats (choose 1)
- Hummus contains heart-healthy sesame seeds and olive oil
- Guacamole has avocados which are packed with omega-3s
- Nuts and seeds have protein and healthy fats (opt for unsalted)
- Choose tasty, savory smoked salmon as a topping
Below, find a sample breakfast on-the-go recipe for you to try.
Healthy breakfast on the go recipe
Preparation time: 10 min.
- 1 whole eggs (~1 ¾ oz)
- 1 apple (~5 oz)
- 1 ¼ oz cheddar cheese
- 12 almonds (~½ oz)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add your egg(s) and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and cool in cold water. Remove shell now or later.
- Wash apple(s) and portion cheese and almonds. Eat now or take all ingredients to-go.