Baking homemade bread seems complicated, but I promise it’s not. My healthy bread recipe only takes 5 minutes to prepare plus 1 hour in the oven — which is just enough time to do an 8fit workout and take a shower.
Why make your own homemade bread?
Many supermarket breads are over processed. Even if the packaging says “100% whole grain” and the coloring is dark, the ingredient list will often contain sugar or food coloring.
What’s so great about this healthy bread recipe?
Being German, I have very high standards for bread quality and, just so you know, this recipe has delighted my German or European friends alike. I bake this bread about once a week so I have enough for several days. What’s great is that the bread freezes well (just slice it beforehand) and toasts nicely.
All of the ingredients used in this bread recipe are unprocessed and work together to nourish your body. Here are some examples:
Whole grains: Whole grains include the bran and germ which is where all of the fiber and healthy fat live. These nutrients help reduce the risk of chronic health conditions and digestive issues. When grains are processed, the healthful bran and germ are removed.
Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has a pH level close to the pH level of stomach acid. As a result, it can help with digestion and reduce episodes of heartburn. ACV also has prebiotic properties, which means it acts as a fertilizer for the good bacteria (probiotics) already in your gut.
Carrots: Carrots are rich in beta-carotene which is crucial for immunity and eye health.
But, that’s enough chit-chat about bread. Let’s get bakin’.
Healthy Wholegrain Bread Recipe
- 4 cups whole grain spelt flour (alternative: whole grain wheat flour or whole grain rye flour)
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 grated carrots
- ½ cup seeds and nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 package dry yeast (2 ¼ tsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix the flour with salt, seeds and nuts. If desired, add the oregano or cinnamon.
- Pour the yeast into the warm water, mix and add apple cider vinegar.Add the wet mixture to the flour, salt and seeds/nuts.
- Grate the carrots and fold them into the other ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into a baking form (either a non-stick one or lined with parchment paper).
- Put baking form in an unheated oven, then turn the oven up to 400°F (200°C) and bake for 60 minutes. To create that split on the top of the bread, slice a line lengthways with a knife after 5 minutes in the oven.
- Take the bread out of the oven, let it cool down and serve it with your favorite topping.