Granola is tempting, isn’t it? Unfortunately, it seems impossible to find a healthy one in the supermarket. Checking the ingredients list is frustrating. They are all loaded with sugar and therefore, definitely not helping to reach your goal.
No need to feel sorry for yourself anymore. It’s so easy to make your own granola! And it actually tastes a lot better, too! Combine it with some fresh fruits, yogurt or almond milk and celebrate your breakfast!
Homemade Healthy Crunchy Granola Recipe
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened cereal of your choice (puffed rice or puffed quinoa, oat bran flakes, whole grain cereal)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup nuts and seeds (chopped almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, …)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup, agave or honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- zest and juice from 1 small organic lemon
- 3 bags or 3 tbsp black tea
- optional: 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- optional: 1 tsp ground cardamon
- optional: 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 1 cup dried fruits (raisins, dried apricots, …)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bring some water to boil. Infuse black tea in a cup of hot water. Wash the lemon and grate the zest. Squeeze the lemon. Melt the coconut oil.
- In a bowl, mix oats with flakes of your preference, coconut flakes, nuts and seeds, maple syrup, coconut oil, lemon zest and juice, black tea and spices (cinnamon, cardamon and vanilla extract). Stir well.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper, and spread mixture evenly on the tray.
- Place in oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir the mix every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and add dried fruits (optional). Store granola in containers. Tip: Make a big batches and enjoy a quick breakfast every morning. The granola can easily be stored for 2 weeks.