Summer isn’t over just yet, folks. No matter the time of year, a little bit of self-care is never a bad thing. This season can have its share of disadvantages depending on where you live like dry skin and frizzy hair, but that doesn’t mean you need to go shopping for new products. Instead, give some of our summer beauty tips a try and save money while also keeping things au natural.
These summer beauty hacks are bringing us life
Believe it or not, you probably already have all the ingredients you need for a full spa treatment inside your kitchen pantry. After all, why blow money on expensive creams and scrubs when you could grab an avocado, some coconut oil or some honey and make your own? We hope that our top beauty tips for summer will help you feel fabulous whatever the weather.
Coconut sugar scrub
This recipe is perfect for any time of the year, but it’s especially helpful when dry summer weather hits. Coconut oil is known for having healing properties, including being excellent for dry skin and hair. With just a few ingredients in this scrub, you really can’t go wrong!
- Granulated sugar
- Coconut oil
- All natural vanilla extract or any flavor of your choice (try mint for an extra tingly feel)
- Small container or jar for the scrub
- Fill up ¾ of a small jar with granulated sugar
- Next, pour coconut oil over the sugar, mixing with a toothpick or whatever you have on hand
- Add a few drops of all natural vanilla extract or any flavor of your choice, then mix well
That’s it! Feel free to adjust the proportions depending on how thick or thin you’d like the scrub to be.
Apply the mixture to your lips whenever they feel dry, rubbing it on vigorously to scrub off any dead skin. If you want exceptionally smooth lips, use a soft toothbrush to scrub it in. It’s entirely edible, but it’s probably best not to indulge too much.
Banana-oatmeal facial mask
It only takes four ingredients to make this facial mask. Great for relaxing after a long day at work or school, this blend can help moisturize, soften and nourish your skin. Honey has antibacterial properties, so it may even combat acne. The oats exfoliate, the banana softens dry areas, and the lemon invigorates the skin for an all-around self-care experience.
- Very ripe banana (now’s a good time to make use of that brown one you meant to eat)
- A tsp or two of honey
- A tsp of lemon juice
- ¼ to ⅓ cup of oats
- Mash the banana using a potato masher or a fork
- Stir in the honey, lemon juice, and oats
- Let the mix sit for a few moments
- Relax, get comfortable and apply the mixture to your face, removing it after 15 or 20 minutes
Et voilà! You’ve got yourself a super simple face mask that you can whip up whenever your skin needs a little TLC. It’s easy, cheap and a great way to unwind and relax.
Avocado hair mask
If shiny, nourished hair is what your after, this avocado hair mask may be just what you’re looking for. It’s not exactly pretty, but it does just the trick.
- A ripe avocado
- Around ¼ cup of olive oil
- A Tbsp. of lemon juice
- Mix everything in a bowl
- Apply to dry hair
- Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash your hair to remove the avocado mask
Don’t worry, though it may look a little bit slimy, this avocado hair mask can make your hair look and feel like a million bucks. Avocado is like nature’s conditioner, and the olive oil has a hydrating effect on your hair. If your hair is prone to oiliness, you may want to shampoo and rinse twice to get any remaining residue out of your hair.
Coffee face wash
Coffee isn’t just a wonderfully delicious beverage you know. This particular recipe will invigorate your skin and is effortless to make! Using only two ingredients, it’s one of our favorite summer beauty secrets.
- Equal parts brewed coffee and liquid castile soap
- Add cooled coffee and soap to a bowl and stir.
- Pour the mix into a squeeze bottle or a hand pump and use as you would any other face wash
Coffee is said to be a great facial cleanser due to its antioxidant properties, providing the skin with a healthy glow. It supposedly also has anti-aging effects, so it sounds like a winner to us.
Try making self-care part of your routine
Self-care doesn’t always have to mean beautifying your hair, skin, and nails. It can be as simple as soaking in a hot bath in the evenings, taking a stroll while listening to your favorite podcast, practicing yoga or preparing your favorite meal. The point is to take time for yourself to slow down and unwind in a way that is nurturing and makes you feel good.
Whether you decide to make a hair mask, want to get your scrub on or add a little pizzazz to your everyday life, the summer beauty tips above are an affordable way to treat yourself and enjoy a little bit of me-time.