Is there anything more refreshing than an ice cold treat on a hot summer day? We think not. These healthy, homemade popsicles are easy to make and put a grown-up spin on a childhood favorite. From icy to creamy, sweet to tart, and fruity to fudgy, we’ve got a popsicle for everyone. Honestly, the hardest part is waiting for them to freeze.
Next time you host a summer party or BBQ, make a few varieties to impress the entire crowd. Once you get the hang of the five healthy popsicle recipes below, be bold with your flavor combinations and popsicle patterns.
How to make homemade popsicles
So, what’s the trick to perfecting these simple sweets? Just add the fruit base to the blender, pour in the liquid, then blitz it, and pour it into your popsicle molds. Finish by putting the molds in the freezer — et voilà! — Instagram-worthy popsicles.
5 Healthy popsicles
Each recipe below is enough for four portions. Double or triple the amounts if you’re making these summer treats for a crowd.
This recipe is very, very refreshing — plus, it’s a play on one of summer’s favorite cocktails. The cucumber mojito popsicle combines lime, mint, and cucumber for a light treat that’s sweet, but not too sweet. Add thin slices of lime to make that pop look gourmet.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 limes, freshly squeezed
- 2 Tbsp mint leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp honey or agave
- Combine the cucumber, lime juice, mint leaves, and honey in your blender. Puree until smooth.
- Decorate your popsicles by adding mint leaves or lime slices to the mold if desired, then pour the liquid on top.
- Add the popsicle sticks and freeze overnight.
Take advantage of watermelon season and make these thirst-quenching watermelon and kiwi popsicles. This recipe contains just two fruity ingredients, making it not only a breeze to create, but as healthy as eating the fruit itself.
- 3 kiwis
- 3 cups watermelon, cubed
- Peel the kiwis and puree in your blender for about one minute.
- Pour evenly into four popsicle molds until each mold is about ¼ full and freeze for one hour.
- Add the watermelon to your blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes on high until smooth.
- Add the watermelon juice to your molds, then the popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.
Love those classic fudgsicles? We’re taking that sugary treat to whole new heights with this creamy blend of chocolate, ripe avocado, and maple syrup. When blended with a touch of almond milk and vanilla extract, these vegan pops are given that extra oomph.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ½ cups dairy-free milk (e.g., unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop the flesh into a blender.
- Place the rest of the ingredients in the blender (vanilla and salt are optional). Blend until smooth.
- Pour into ice molds and allow to freeze overnight.
The intense, tart flavor of the cherries takes center stage in this pop. Combined with fresh lemon and hydrating coconut water, our cherry lemonade popsicle will cool you down while making your taste buds dance.
- 2 cups fresh (or frozen) pitted cherries
- 1 cup coconut unsweetened water
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 6 additional pitted cherries (for decoration)
- Combine pitted cherries, lemon, honey, coconut water, and chia seeds in a high-speed blender. Blend until completely smooth., In your popsicle mold, add 1-2 cherries (cut in half).
- Pour in the cherry-lemonade mixture, add the popsicle sticks, and freeze overnight.
Breakfast Yogurt Parfait
These healthy three-ingredient pops are perfect for breakfast — seriously! They’re creamy, filling, and easy to make. Grab your yogurt, berries, and favorite breakfast granola for a dessert-like start to a hot summer day.
Breakfast Yogurt Parfait
- 3 cups Greek yogurt, plain and unsweetened
- 1 cup berries
- 1 cup granola
- Evenly divide the berries between four popsicle molds.
- Add your Greek yogurt and use a popsicle stick to stir and make sure the yogurt reaches the bottom of the mold.
- Top with granola and insert the popsicle sticks.
- Freeze overnight.