We’re pretty sure you’ll go coco-nuts for these healthy, tasty energy balls. Whether you need to put a pre-workout pep in your step or want to stay energized on the go, these little snacks pack a big punch.
The dates provide your body with natural sugars such as glucose, fructose, and sucrose for a burst of energy, while the coconut improves insulin secretion for stable blood sugar levels (translation: no sugar crash). Not only will the combination of dates, coconut, and cashews tantalize your taste buds, they’ll also provide your body with health-promoting fats to keep you satiated and help prevent heart disease.
Enjoy them mindfully and in moderation.
Ingredient benefit highlights
Dates have been cultivated since around 6000 B.C, and in addition to the energy-boosting sugars, they are rich in essential nutrients like fiber and potassium. The high levels of fiber support digestive processes, especially relieving constipation. Some studies have shown that dates increase brain performance and support nervous system health as a result of their vitamin B6 content.
Coconut is so delicious it’s incredible to think that it holds so many immune system supporting attributes. Coconuts contain antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiparasitic properties, they aid metabolising fat and also combat free radicals for youthful looking skin and hair. Seriously, what can’t coconuts do?
Cashews are among the nuts with lowest fat content, with roughly 82 percent of their fat being heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, similar to that found in olive oil. Cashews are also a good source of copper and iron, which work hand in hand to create red blood cells that carry oxygen through your body.
Coconut Energy Balls
- 1 cup dried dates
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup cashew nuts
- 1 orange (for zest and 1-2 Tbsp juice)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grate orange with a zester and set aside the zest.
- Cut the orange in half to juice, set aside juice.
- Remove pits from dates (if not already pitted) and place in a blender or food processor; process until they are finely chopped.
- Set aside ¼ cup of the shredded coconut.
- Add the rest of the shredded coconut, cashews, orange zest and vanilla extract and process for a further 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Melt the coconut oil and orange juice in a saucepan or microwave and add it to the mixture. Combine well for 30 seconds. If it’s too dry and not easy to roll, squeeze a little bit of orange juice into the mix.
- Using your hands, form a ball out of about one tablespoon of mixture.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small dish, and gently roll the balls in the coconut to cover entire surface. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy immediately, and or keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.