This fresh take on pizza calls on sweet cabbage, juicy zucchini and earthy mushrooms for divine flavors packing a serious nutritional punch. But, if you think the cabbage is a topping, think again! Instead, it’s blended with flaxseeds and mozzarella and then baked into a crispy, gluten-free, indigo base.
Health benefits of purple cabbage
Humble (or purple) cabbage makes the perfect substitute for traditional dough because it’s low in calories, high in fiber and chock-full of phytochemicals, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Especially rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, and glucosinates, purple cabbage even has an edge over the green version.
You can count on cabbage to keep you looking young, to help build stronger bones, and to improve your eye and skin health. Cabbage can also help detoxify your body and boost your immune system, form a protective shield against colon cancer, and promote weight loss.
Thanks to the pairing of nutrient-rich cabbage with flaxseed — equally potent for skin and hair health — this pizza might just become your new beauty secret. Flaxseeds also help lower cholesterol and promote digestive health and weight loss thanks to their omega-3 and fiber content and B vitamins. We recommend one tablespoon of flaxseeds a day to meet your daily essential nutritional requirement.
If the nutritional benefits aren’t enough to convince you to ditch the delivery ‘za, this pizza’s rich flavors will. Let’s get cooking!
Gluten-Free, Low-Carb Cabbage Pizza
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseeds (~⅔ oz)
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ onion (medium sized) (~2 oz)
- ½ zucchini (~3 ½ oz)
- ½ cup mushrooms (sliced) (~1 ¼ oz)
- 1 ½ Tbsp tomato paste (no added sugar) (~¾ oz)
- ¼ cup diced canned tomatoes (no added salt or sugar) (~2 oz)
- 3 oz mozzarella (part skim milk)
- 1 whole egg (~1 ¾ oz)
- ¼ cabbage head (small) (~5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Clean cabbage and cut into small pieces. Cut the mozzarella into small pieces as well. Add cabbage, egg, half of the mozzarella, flaxseeds, and pepper to a food processor and mix.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking paper. Bake for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Combine tomato paste and can diced tomatoes., Clean mushrooms and slice them. Wash zucchini and cut into thin slices as well. Peel the onion and chop it.
- Spread the tomato mixture on top of cabbage pizza base. Add mushrooms, zucchini, and onion. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh basil.