Feel more like the Swedish Chef than Julia Child in the kitchen? Or, are you overwhelmed by what to cook, when to cook, and how to make time to cook?
These common issues prevent a lot of 8fitters from changing their eating habits. The first way 8fit solves this problem is by providing you with a personalized meal plan that is fully customizable to suit your cooking abilities and food preferences. After learning what to eat, preparing meals is simple and can make all of the difference when it comes to reaching your goals.
Preparing meals with ease
So where do you start with the whole meal preparation process? Preparing meals that are nutritious and delicious is easiest when you make a plan. Our suggested plan includes:
Decide what’s on the menu for the week: Take a look at your 8fit meal plan and swap meals or customize ingredients to your liking.
Grocery shop: Access your 8fit shopping list and select which days you want to shop for. You can print this list and add any extras your needs for the week.
Pencil in prep time: Getting groceries ahead of time will allow you to prep meals that last you all week. Set aside 1-3 hours to do this prep work (depending on how many days you’re cooking for). We like to do our prep in batches. For example, we often prep 2-3 days of meals at a time.
For many people, their weight loss journey begins when they fuel up on fresh, prepared meals instead of constantly snacking on junk food. The key is to make your meals simple, repeatable, and easy to access.
How to meal prep for a week
Now it’s time to learn how to accomplish meal prep for a week. Here are our top five food prep tips for quick and easy meal planning:
1. Invest in high-quality food containers. When you start your meal prep journey, tupperware will be your new best friend. These handy containers will allow you to portion your healthy meals, take meals on the go, and become more environmentally friendly. Make sure you get containers that are microwave safe to allow for quick reheating.
2. Choose recipes ahead of time. If you’re embarking on a mission to meal prep more, make sure you have your 8fit meal plan set to “Meal prep, container-friendly” recipes. If you aren’t using a meal plan, focus on picking your favorite nourishing foods and make them your daily staples. Get a mix of these macronutrients in addition to a serving of fruit or vegetable:
Lean protein (chicken, fish, eggs, tofu, yogurt, beans)
Complex carbs (whole grain bread, quinoa, rice, oats)
Healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocado)
3. Pick a day of week to do your groceries. Usually this is best done on Sunday before the work week, but find which day works best for you. We make this easy for 8fit Pro members by creating a weekly shopping list for you. Simply sign up & download the 8fit app, go to the “Meals” tab and tap the shopping cart in the top left corner.
4. Prep meals for the week. Set aside time to prepare meals for the next 3-5 days. After you finish cooking and portioning your meals into your fancy storage containers, refrigerate or freeze your meals. Most pre-made meals can last 3-4 days in the fridge. Some favorites from our users include:
Breakfast: Chopped apple, yogurt, oats, and cinnamon
Lunch: Fresh salad with lots of greens, a protein, and a healthy fat topping
Dinner: Cooked veggies and protein
Post-workout snack: Unsweetened yogurt and banana
5. Repeat weekly. Meal prep will soon become routine and you won’t even have to think before doing it.
Final advice for preparing meals
Now that you know how to prepare meals, let’s talk about making it fun! Don’t let preparing meals feel like a chore — put on a fun cooking playlist and dance around as you wash, chop and cook. Preparing your meals in advance not only saves you time but also money that you would have otherwise spent eating out. Once meal prep becomes part of your routine, your week will go much smoother… you’ll see.