Vegan Homemade Pesto Recipe for Pasta, Salads and More
Homemade pesto packs more flavor and nutrients than the store-bought version. We’re willing to bet that once you try making your own, you’ll never go back to the processed, supermarket version again.
Health benefits of pesto
8fit’s pesto recipe is plant-based and chock-full of health benefits. Herbs like the fresh basil, mint and parsley in this pesto have medicinal properties. In fact, most anti-inflammatory drugs are derived from plants. Herbs contain antioxidants, essential oils, and phytosterols, which help our body to fight against germs and toxins all while keeping our immune system strong.
Along with fresh herbs, this pesto has other health-boosting ingredients: garlic, olive oil and walnut.
Garlic is known to be antibacterial, helping you to fight common colds
Olive oil provides you withmonounsaturated fatty acids
Walnuts are rich in the essential(which are typically too low in most American diets)
We love adding this pesto to just about everything — salads, pizza, toasted bread or whole grain pasta. Get creative and share your masterpieces with us on social media.
Homemade Vegan Pesto Recipe
- ½ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh mint (chopped)
- ¼ cups fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- 7 walnuts (~1 oz)
- ½ tsp salt
- Wash the fresh herbs (basil, mint and parsley) and dry them. Chop them roughly.
- Peel the garlic.
- Add all of the ingredients (fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, walnuts and salt) to a blender or food processor. Blend on high until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in an airtight container for 5-7 days.