What’s better than fresh pesto on top of pasta, stirred into your zucchini noodles, or drizzled over a gooey egg? Not much. In addition to tasting great, having a jar of pesto in your fridge is a life-saver when you’re having a whirlwind day, are short on time, or when you simply lack creativity.
But, this pesto isn’t your grandma’s age-old recipe. Instead of classic pine nuts, we use cashews. The cashews subbed into this cashew pesto recipe lend this sauce a nutty flavor, creamy texture and is teeming with protein — plus potassium too.
We love food facts here at 8fit, so here is some more trivia about our wholesome cashew pesto:
- Cashews: Rich in copper which helps to prevent premature aging and increases energy production (try our Sun-dried Tomato Cashew Dip, too)
- Basil: Contains lots of disease-fighting antioxidants
- Garlic: Great for digestion and heart health
- Parmesan: Packed with protein and calcium — the latter being essential for bone health
Are you ready? Now it’s time for that 8fit recipe, we’ve been building up to!
Cashew pesto recipe with parmesan
Preparation time: 10 min.
- ¼ cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 12 cashews
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Peel the garlic and chop it.
- Wash the basil and chop it roughly.
- Add all the ingredients (garlic, basil, parmesan, cashews and olive oil) to a food processor or blender and process until the pesto becomes smooth.