If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast to make for weekend brunch or Sunday meal prep, look no further than these scrumptious mini frittatas. Preparing and serving them is easy because each frittata is baked in an individual muffin tin.
We highly suggest making more than one serving at once for those mornings when you have an early workout, when you sleep through your alarm, or when your kids give you trouble getting out the door. You’ll be pleasantly surprised with how the texture and flavor hold when reheated — especially that delicious sweet potato.
Nutritional benefits of sweet potatoes
There are a number of healthful ingredients in this dish — spinach, eggs, milk — but one to highlight is the sweet potato.
Sweet potatoes are great sources of healthy carbohydrates and fiber which keeps you full all morning. They’re also packed with nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese. Here are the benefits of each:
- Vitamin A: Beta-carotene found in sweet potatoes is converted to vitamin A by the body. Vitamin A helps improve vision health, boost immunity and support cell growth.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is best known as an antioxidant. It also helps the body produce collagen (the framework of our skin and bones) and serotonin (needed for a healthy nervous system).
- Manganese: The body needs manganese to help with bone production and skin integrity. It’s also a vitamin we need to control blood sugar levels, preventing spikes and crashes.
Mini Sweet Potato and Spinach Frittata
The recipe below makes a 400-calorie serving. By adding this recipe to your 8fit meal plan, calories and ingredient amounts are automatically adjusted to suit your personal requirements.
- ½ sweet potato
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ Tbsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup spinach, chopped
- 1 oz. cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- In the meantime, add muffin liners to muffin tin
- Shred sweet potato evenly into muffin tins, should fill about 1/4 of each muffin tin
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven
- While sweet potato is baking, whisk eggs, milk and spices (garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper)
- Add washed and chopped spinach and half of the cheese to egg mixture
- Pour egg mixture evenly on top of baked sweet potatoes
- Top with the rest of the shredded cheese
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set
- Enjoy all mini frittatas for your meal or make multiple portions at a time and keep the frittatas in the fridge for up to 3-4 days