Hummus is a dish commonly found in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. It’s one of those foods claimed by all, but owned by none. We’re crazy about the stuff – especially when it’s homemade.
Hummus is primarily made out of chickpeas, tahini (ground sesame seeds) and olive oil. It’s a great alternative to mayonnaise, sour cream or ketchup-based dips and spreads because it has less sugar, less fat, and is packed with healthy fiber and protein.
Still unsure if you want to swap your beloved mayo for hummus just yet? Here are more reasons to love the chickpea spread:
- Quick prep: Our hummus recipe only takes 5 minutes of prep time and has 5 basic ingredients
- Multifunctional: Tastes great with vegetable sticks, on bread, paired with falafel, or spread on a burger
- Filling: Good source of plant-based protein
- Nutritious: Garlic, olive oil and chickpeas are all anti-inflammatory
- Disease-fighting: Monounsaturated fats found in hummus help reduce bad cholesterol levels, which can lower your risk of heart disease and stroke
It’s time to give this homemade hummus a try. Grab the necessary ingredients and follow the recipe below.
Homemade Hummus recipe
Preparation time: 5 min.Ingredients
- 1 cup chickpeas/garbanzo beans (canned) (~5 oz)
- ½ lemon (~1 oz)
- 1 garlic clove (~⅛ oz)
- 2 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste) (~1 oz)
- 1 ¼ Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt, ¾ tsp cumin (dry), ¾ tsp paprika (dry)
- Put the chickpeas with half of the liquid from the can into a food processor or blender.
- Juice the lemon. Peel and chop the garlic. Add those to the food processor.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (tahini, olive oil, salt, cumin and paprika) to the food processor.
- Blend for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then blend for another 30 seconds or until the hummus has a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Serve as a dip with vegetables or on bread.