Tasked with bringing a dessert to your next holiday party? Make this fancy fruit trio.
Since we like to have our cake and eat it too here at 8fit, we used Mother Nature’s candy to create a decadent dessert that’s low in calories, but high on flavor. If you’re looking for a fancy, but quick dessert to bring to that next holiday dinner party, you can’t go wrong with these fruity delights.
Our choice fruits are bananas, persimmons and strawberries.
Health benefits of the ingredients
Each variation contains just three elements: Fruit, a coating and topping. The banana variety is coated with dark chocolate and coconut. Bananas are a great source of vitamin B6 and potassium, dark chocolate is full of the antioxidants that promote youthfulness, and shredded coconut contains the fiber you need to keep your cholesterol in check.
Immunity-boosting persimmon is also among the trio. It contains about 80% of your daily requirement for vitamin C and acts as a shield for your health. The persimmon is also coated with dark chocolate, plus vitamin E-rich hazelnuts that help nurture skin, hair and nails.
To complete the enticing trio, we created a Greek yogurt and hazelnut-coated strawberry. Strawberries’ anti-inflammatory effects, coupled with the digestive benefits of Greek yogurt, are a force to be reckoned with. Not only is the yogurt gut-friendly, it also contains twice as much protein as the regular kind.
Apart from being a crowd-pleaser that’s full of health benefits, the recipe is easy to make. Once the chocolate is melted, it’s simply a matter of dipping the fruit and letting the coating harden in the fridge. You can even mix and match to explore different textures, keeping your senses fully engaged and maintaining that healthy relationship with food.
Holiday Chocolate and Yogurt-Covered Fruit Trio
- 5 strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1 persimmon
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, plain (full fat)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut (shredded)
- Cut persimmon into wedges. Peel and cut banana into thick slices. Wash and dry the strawberries. Line a small tray and a small plate with baking paper.
- Crush hazelnuts and spread on a small plate. Spread shredded coconut on another small plate.
- Create a double-boiler by filling a small saucepan halfway with water. Place a small, heat-resistant bowl on top of the saucepan. Bring the water to a low boil and melt the chocolate in the bowl. Stir with a spoon to melt consistently.
- Using a toothpick, dip the banana halfway into the chocolate and roll around in the coconut. Add to the tray.
- Then, dip persimmon wedges in the chocolate and roll around in the hazelnut. Add to the same tray and refrigerate.
- Finally, dip the strawberries in the Greek yogurt and roll around in the hazelnut. Add to a small plate and place in the freezer for 20 mins.
- Take all the fruit out, arrange on a platter and enjoy!