It’s time to add some fresh and fuss-free Mediterranean flair to your lunch. This Italian-style salad is not only packed with energy boosting goodness, but can be prepared in under 5 minutes. Perfect for anyone on the go or those who need to fit a healthy meal into a busy schedule.
The pairing of grapefruit and prosciutto balance each other out beautifully. The grapefruit’s high water and fiber content help level the sodium-rich prosciutto, lowering cholesterol for a happy, healthy heart.
Teeming to the brim with vitamins – all that’s left to say is buon appetito.
- Prosciutto, though processed, unlike other packaged meats, does not contain any additives. In addition to energizing B vitamins and iron, it can be an effective addition to a post-exercise meal – especially after an intense workout where you may have lost a lot of minerals through sweating. Just make sure to drink enough.
- Grapefruit is one of nature’s health and beauty multitaskers. It’s an excellent treasure trove of antioxidants, which go a long way in protecting your skin (and the rest of your body) from the damaging effects of free radicals. The fact that grapefruit is around 90% water will keep you hydrated and glowing.
- Arugula is more than just a favorite garnish – it’s a great supplement to most meals, whether it is the foundation of a dish or used to bulk up a meal. Your bones and skin will thank you as arugula is jammed with vitamin K, which supports skin strength, circulation, and acts as an anti-inflammatory. Low in calories and high in nutrients what’s not to love about this peppery leafy green.
- Sunflower seeds aren’t just for birds (😉). In fact, sprinkling these little gems onto food adds immune-boosting properties to your meals. Also, the magnesium found in sunflower seeds will help lower blood pressure, just make sure to opt for unsalted or lightly salted variants.
Grapefruit, Arugula and Prosciutto Salad recipe
- 2 prosciutto slice(s) (italian ham; preferably organic) (~1 oz)
- 1 grapefruit (~9 oz)
- 2 ¼ cups salad arugula (rocket) (~1 ½ oz)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 ½ tsp sunflower seeds (~½ oz)
- Wash salad and add to a bowl.
- Peel grapefruit and cut into eights. Add to bowl.
- Add sunflower seeds. Drizzle salad with olive oil and pepper.