How to tone your abs – Tips for a firmer stomach
We get asked a lot, especially by our female users: what’s the secret to get a well toned stomach, cut the extra fat and look great?
The answer is quite simple: to get a great core you need to:
- Reduce your belly fat, and…
- Strengthen your abs muscles.
If you work out consistently and eat right, you can reach the firm, sexy stomach you want. We’ve seen this transformation happen for many others!
Dropping the extra fat
Even if you might not able to see them, you already have a six-pack. It’s simply hidden under a layer of fat in your stomach.
Your belly region has visceral fat (under your abs) and subcutaneous fat (over your abs). Reducing belly fat will help you make your abs more visible.
Losing weight is easy if you follow these three simple steps:
- Perform short, intense exercise sessions 3-5 times a week.
- Follow our Nutrition Guide for a low-carb diet to burn more fat without going hungry.
- Keep active! Walk more or do some light sports, like running or dancing.
You can find step-by-step workout and nutrition plans in the 8fit app to lose weight effectively.
Forget about doing crunches
Most people will tell you that crunches are the best way to tone your abs, but there are more effective exercises you can do!
Forget about “ab killer” routines. Crunches are uncomfortable exercises that work out a very specific area of your body. They aren’t particularly effective for weight loss. The same goes for most machines you’ll find in a gym.
The best way is to do full-body, compound movements that’ll work out your whole body while hitting your abs as a part of it.
Workouts to tone abs
The best exercises, if you had to pick some, are:
- Planking for 30 to 60 seconds will strengthen your core muscles.
- Side Planks and other variations are good for hitting your lateral abs.
- Squats and lunges are wonderful for toning your abs and legs.
- Add Bridges and Leg Lifts to define your glutes.
- Burpees and Jumping Jacks will help you shed additional fat.
Most importantly, combine these exercises with full-body workouts. If you only work out your core but forget about your arms and legs, your results won’t be half as good as if you do full workouts.
Tips for your workouts
Perform exercises slowly, but at your maximum strength. The harder you push yourself, the better results you’ll see.
Watch your diet, and avoid added salt, sugar, sweets, soda and alcohol. It really makes a difference!
Adding cardio work can be a good idea, but don’t abuse it. Short, intense exercise sessions are much more effective.