This Halloween, it’s trick, treat or train! We’ve put together a wicked workout to help you build a pumpkin-perfect bum – we’re calling it a “bumpkin!”.
Put your soon-to-be-Jack-O-Lantern to use as a weight as you tone up for the annual costume party or get ready for the marathon that is handing out treats to neighborhood cuties (while maybe treating yourself too)!
For this spooky, booty-building workout, you’ll need a small to medium-sized pumpkin and a stable knee-height surface. Complete 15 reps of each exercise for at least 3 rounds. Costume is optional.
- Pumpkin Squats: Hold the pumpkin in front of your chest, elbows close to your body. Stand straight with shoulders above hips, feet hip-width apart, toes slightly turned out. Brace your core as you drop hips back and down below parallel; keep knees behind toes at all times and hip and ankle in line so knees don’t collapse inward. Drive weight into heels to stand up and squeeze your glutes at the top. Repeat 15 times.
- Isometric Pumpkin Glute Bridge: Lay on the floor with your shoulders anchored to the floor, heels stacked directly under your knees and rest the pumpkin on your pelvis. Brace your core as you drive weight in your heels to raise your pelvis off the floor. Squeeze your glutes at the top and hold for 15 seconds.
- Pumpkin Hip Thrusters: Anchor your shoulders on top of a stable knee-height surface, heels stacked directly under your knees, feet flat on the floor and rest the pumpkin on your pelvis. Brace your core as you drive weight in your heels to raise your hips up. Do not overextend your back. Return to start position and repeat 15 times.
- Pumpkin Front Lunge: Hold the pumpkin in front of your chest, elbows close to your body. Step forward with one leg, bending your knee to drop hips. Descend until your rear knee nearly touches the floor and front knee directly above ankle. Drive weight into the heel of your lead foot to push yourself back up to start position. Complete 15 reps on one leg before switching legs. Repeat 15 times on the other leg.
- Pumpkin Romanian Deadlifts: Stand with feet shoulder-width with pumpkin in front. Ground weight into right foot to create a stable base. Engage your core, lead with your chest to lower torso and raise left leg behind until body is parallel to the floor. Drive weight into your heel as you slowly return to start position. Complete 15 reps on one leg before switching legs. Repeat 15 times on the other leg.
- Pumpkin Swings: Stand with feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart with pumpkin in front. Engage your core, hinge at your hips, lower your torso to parallel and grab the stem with both hands. Swing the pumpkin between your legs and explosively drive your hips forward to propel the pumpkin to shoulder height. Keep back and neck straight as you allow the pumpkin to swing back between your legs. Repeat 15 times.