Recipe: Coconut Energy Balls
This blend of coconut, vanilla and dates will melt in your mouth and give you the right fuel to get through your day. The recipes make enough to share (or store for a few days – they’re so good you might want to keep them for yourself!)
Why you should reward yourself with this treat:
- Coconut contains medium-chained triglycerides, which are the healthy version of saturated fats. They are metabolized differently and have been shown to be beneficial in terms of weight loss, as they can increase energy expenditure.
- Dates provide significant amounts of minerals like selenium, manganese, copper, and magnesium. Those minerals help keep your bones healthy and strong.
- Dates are also great energy boosters, because they are rich in natural sugar. We chose to combine the dates with fat (found in coconut and cashews). This slows down the digestion and absorption of the sugar into the bloodstream, ensuring your blood sugar will be stable, not spiked.
You can store the coconut energy balls in the fridge and enjoy them several days in a row.
Coconut Energy Balls
Prep time: 15 min.
Makes about 5 snack-sized servings (~ 1500 calories total)
- 1 cup dried dates (~ 5 oz)
- 1 cup shredded coconut (~ 3 oz)
- 1 cup cashews or almonds (~ 2 oz)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 organic orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- shredded coconut for rolling
- Grate zest of orange and set aside.
- Add the dates to a blender or food processor and process until they are finely chopped. Add the shredded coconut, cashews, orange zest and vanilla extract and process for 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan or microwave and add it to the mixture. Combine well for 30 seconds. If it’s too dry and not easy to roll, squeeze a little bit of orange juice into the mix.
- Form a ball out of about one tablespoon of mixture between your hands.
- Place the shredded coconut in a small dish, and gently roll the balls in the coconut to cover entire surface. Optional: Put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy or keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Love and health,