In this recipe, avocados elevate the traditional black bean burger to a meal that’s even more satisfying and nutritious, making it easy to shed the bread – so say “sayonara” to your sesame bun!
But it’s not just what’s on the outside that counts; the inside of this recipe is full of goodness too! You’ll blend black beans with oats, yogurt and spices for a burger that’s bursting with flavour. Top it with a slice of protein-packed melted Cheddar cheese and tomato, and “sandwich” that between two silky-smooth avocado halves for a fresh, healthy meal that will put the drive-through to shame.
Avocado wins a permanent place in our hearts thanks to its rich, creamy texture, versatile flavor and incredible health benefits. Did you know this superfood offers protection against heart disease and high cholesterol, with plenty of monounsaturated fat, vitamin E and soluble fiber? The healthy fats also help us regulate our appetites, keeping us feeling satisfied. Swapping the bun for the avocado makes this recipe a great option if you’re gluten-free or just interested in mixing it up.
Avocado & Black Bean BurgerPreparation time: 20 min.
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
- 1 avocado (~7 oz)
- ¾ cups black beans (cooked and drained) (~6 oz)
- ½ onion (medium sized) (~2 oz)
- 3 tbsp rolled oats (uncooked) (~¾ oz)
- 3 tbsp sweet corn (cooked) (~1 oz)
- ½ tomatoes (~1 ¾ oz)
- 1 ½ oz cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp Greek yogurt, plain (full-fat) (~2 oz)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin (dry)
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ lime (~⅔ oz)
- a tiny bit of salt
- a tiny bit of black pepper
- ⅓ tsp sesame seeds (~⅛ oz)
- Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel and roughly chop onion. Add to a blender with drained (unrinsed) black beans, garlic powder, chilli, salt, pepper, cumin, rolled oats and yogurt.
- Pulse gently to make a patty mixture, keeping a bit of texture. Add the sweet corn and blitz for a few more seconds.
- Spoon the mixture onto baking paper and flatten with a spoon or with your hands (tip: if you have too much mixture, make more than one patty). Put in the oven for 10-12 mins (or until cooked and slightly crisp). Add a slice of cheese over the patty for the last minute.
- Meanwhile, wash and slice the tomato.
- Carefully peel and slice avocado to make two “buns”. Stack ingredients as desired.
- Squeeze some lime over the avocado, then sprinkle some sesame seeds. Enjoy half or share with a friend!
A recipe like this one is the perfect opportunity to rediscover how playful and enjoyable mealtime can be. After all, being creative in the kitchen and engaging fully with your senses – sight and smell along with taste – can help create a healthy relationship with food.
So go on, have a little fun for dinner! Up your burger game tonight in a totally unexpected way, without compromising on flavor or health.